Every good baker knows that homemade whipped cream is simply the best, and having a good whipped cream recipe is essential. We combined chocolate cakes, crunchy pecans and fresh nectarines with a generous helping of whipped cream to make this deliciously fluffy cake.
What you need for the chocolate cakes
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (42 g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- ¾ tsp (4 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) baking soda
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (120 ml) plain yogurt
What you need for the ginger pecans
- ¾ cups (72 g) pecan halves
- 2 tbsp (28 g) unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tsp (6 g) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ¼ cup (57 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water
What you need for the whipped cream
- 3 cups (720 ml) heavy (35%) cream
- ½ cup (55 g) Redpath® Icing sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract
What you need to assemble
- 2 large nectarines
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Chilling Time: 5 hours
Yield: 10 servings
- Chocolate cakes and ginger pecans can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in airtight containers at room temperature. Prepare nectarines and whipped cream just before assembly.
How to prepare the chocolate cakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease or line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the Redpath® Granulated Sugar and cream until pale and fluffy; 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated before adding the next. Beat in the vanilla.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir half the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Stir in the plain yogurt, then stir in the remaining flour mixture (take care to not overmix).
- For each cake, scoop about 3 tablespoons (46 grams) of batter onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches (5 centimetres) apart. When all the batter has been scooped, you should have 18 – 19 cakes. Press down, with a damp hand, on each cake to flatten slightly.
- Bake the cakes, rotating the baking sheets after 10 minutes. Cakes are done when the tops are dry and spring back when gently pressed; 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, transferring to a rack to cool completely.
How to prepare the ginger pecans
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the ginger and salt . Add the pecans and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pecans with the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar and water, stirring, while cooking, until sugar is melted and bubbling; about 3 minutes.
- Immediately pour the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet and spread them into a single layer. Set aside to cool.
How to prepare the whipped cream
- Chill a large bowl and electric mixer beater in the freezer for 15 minutes. Pour the cream in the bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Add the Redpath® Icing Sugar and vanilla and beat to firm peaks.
How to assemble the cake
- Pit and dice 1 nectarine into ½ inch (1.25 centimetre) pieces.
- Roughly chop the ginger pecans.
- Drop a ½ cup of whipped cream onto a 9 inch (23 centimetre) serving platter and smooth into a circle with an offset spatula.
- Place one cake in the centre. Arrange 6 cakes equally around the centre cake.
- Spread about 1 ½ cups (360 millilitres) of cream evenly over the cakes, leaving a ½ inch (1.25 centimetres) around the edge uncovered. Top cream evenly with chopped pecans.
- Add a second layer of 6 cakes, staggering them so that their centre is above the spaces between the first cake layers. Spread with 1 ½ cups (360 millilitres) of cream and top with chopped nectarines.
- Add the last layer of cakes and top with remaining whipped cream.
- Transfer to the refrigerator to set for at least 5 hours, or overnight.
- Just before serving slice the remaining nectarine into ½ inch (1.25 centimetre) pieces and use as garnish.
- Slice and serve cold.