When paired together, sweet potatoes and carrots work in tandem to highlight the other’s natural sweetness. Last but not least, the maple glaze helps add decadence to these already delicious creations. It’s truly the greatest example of teamwork we’ve ever seen!
What you need for the muffins
- 1 ½ cup (188 g) all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup (84 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cloves
- 1 ¼ cups (300 g) pureed sweet potato
- 1 cup (120 g) coarsely grated carrots
- ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Organic Sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) buttermilk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
What you need for the maple glaze (optional)
- ½ cup (60 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) pure maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp (1 g) salt
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Yield: 18 muffins
- To make sweet potato purée: wash and peel 1 or 2 medium sweet potatoes and cut into cubes. Place sweet potatoes into a large heavy bottomed pot filled with water 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5 centimetres) above the sweet potato cubes. Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 to 12 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and mash.
- For texture, add about ½ cup (75 grams) dried fruits (e.g. raisins, cranberries, or chopped dried pineapple) or dark chocolate chips into the batter before folding the wet into the dry.
- Feel free to substitute organic ingredients for the ingredients used in the recipe (e.g. organic sweet potatoes, flour, carrots, etc.
- Redpath® Organic Sugar can easily be substituted with Redpath® Granulated Sugar, Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, or Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar.
How to prepare the muffins
- Preheat oven to 425℉ (220℃). Line 2 muffin tins with 18 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sweet potato puree, grated carrots, Redpath® Organic Sugar, applesauce, vegetable oil, buttermilk, pure maple syrup, vanilla extract, and the egg.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. With a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, fold in the wet into the dry using about 12 to 15 strokes. Do not overmix or muffins will be tough. Divide batter evenly into the two paper lined a muffin tins.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake at 425℉ (220℃) for 15 minutes, rotate muffin tins and reduce temperature to 375ºF (190ºC) and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer when inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool slightly in the tins for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from the tin and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
How to prepare the maple glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together the icing sugar, maple syrup, and salt.
- Poke a few holes into the top of each muffin with a skewer or toothpick. With a pastry brush, brush the tops of each cooled muffin with the maple glaze.
- Set aside to harden; about 15 minutes.
- Cooled muffins may be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days at room temperature or placed into the freezer for up to 2 weeks.